Why Invest With Us
Five reasons to invest with Eventide Funds:
1. By investing with Eventide Funds, you may deepen your appreciation of the connection of investing to ownership and to business. In today's world, investing has become abstract and depersonalized, a means of "making a quick buck" and long-divorced from investing's original and most basic purpose -- supporting businesses. Increasingly, with day trading and high frequency trading, many investors are seeking to profit from the market itself rather than from any productive and intrinsic value of the underlying companies. At Eventide, our investors are different; they want to own real companies that are serving the common good by creating true value.
2. By investing with Eventide Funds, you are seeking to promote the welfare of society, your family, and the next generation. Investing is an act that directly supplies capital to a company, or makes it easier for that business to raise additional capital. By investing in companies that are promoting the common good, we thus are seeking to improve our world. We are proud to invest in these companies: (as of March 31, 2013 and subject to change)
- A bold company developing the next generation of cancer therapies (Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Inc., ticker: ARIA 0.89% of Gilead Fund net assets; 2.15% of Healthcare & Life Sciences Fund net assets)
- A company that reliably delivers water, increasing living standards and enabling productive business to occur (American Water Works, ticker: 0.31% of Gilead Fund net assets)
- A leader in open-source software development and support covering some of the most exciting areas of growth in software including cloud computing, big data, and virtualization (Red Hat, Inc., ticker: RHT, 0.89% of Gilead Fund net assets)
Fund holdings are subject to change and should not be considered to be investment advice.
We strive to provide Eventide investors with pride in believing their money is not with merely successful companies, but admirable companies.
3. By investing with Eventide Funds, you will join us in a pursuit of integrity. Integrity simply means wholeness -- reflecting one’s values in all facets of life, including finance. This entails forgoing ownership of companies that transgress human decency. Examples include:
- Tobacco companies that prey on the underage through youth-targeted advertising
- Financial service firms that entice the poor with payday loans while hiding interest rates that can exceed a 3000% effective annual percentage rate
- Video game companies whose products habituate children to violence
- Manufacturing companies that exploit workers in sweatshops
- Producers of pornographic materials that inevitably promote exploitation and addiction
By following the status quo in investing practice, most of America participates in a system that undermines integrity. At Eventide, we instead cultivate integrity by investing in businesses that we would be proud to operate -- businesses calibrated first and foremost to serving the needs of others. By investing with Eventide Funds, your faith-based and ethical values can be accurately reflected in your portfolio.
4. By investing with Eventide Funds, you may grow in your peace of mind. Peace of mind is the by-product of trust, and trust is the by-product of knowledge. Many people have had the experience of purchasing a stock, becoming nervous as it declined, and then selling out at a loss -- perhaps only to see it go right back up. On the other hand, if a person knows the business the stock represents, trusts management, and so comes to believe in the company, these declines are not so troubling. That person is a confident investor because history has shown that great businesses not only endure downturns, but emerge even stronger – making these declines attractive points to invest further. At Eventide, we help investors understand the merits of our portfolio companies so that they can better appreciate what they own, and thus transcend a mere chart-based, financial relationship. Eventide Fund investors can then have greater confidence because they are not buying mere paper, but a portfolio of what we believe are quality businesses they know and trust. After all, life should not be spent staring at a computer screen, watching ticker gyrations.
5. By investing with Eventide Funds, you are participating in a form of investing that has been shown to outperform in the past. We call it simply "values-based investing." Paradoxically, those who choose, first and foremost, to do the right thing will generally outperform those whose highest aim is to make a profit. Multiple studies from Credit Suisse*, Bain Consulting**, Goldman Sachs ***, and others have shown that investing in admirable, values-driven companies may lead to long-term outperformance. The Eventide Gilead Fund has outperformed the broad market since inception through the use of values-based investing. Our goal at Eventide is to continue to deliver outperforming financial returns to our investors by first focusing on doing right.
*The Credit Suisse Most Admired Portfolio examines the positive return-generating characteristics of an investing strategy based on Fortune magazine's yearly Most Admired Companies list. According to a Credit Suissereport from January 2010, in dollar terms, the most admired companies strategy produced over twice the return of the S&P 100 from 1983 to 2009. An investment of $100 in the portfolio would have grown to $2,544 versus $1,153 in the S&P 100.
**Research by Fred Reicheld of Bain Consulting has persuasively concluded that ethically admirable companies have more sustained growth and are, therefore, better long-term investments. His research demonstrates the leading relationship of business ethics to business success: companies that seek first to create value for their customers rather than seeking profit at any cost are more profitable in the long run. [F. Reicheld, The Ultimate Question. Harvard Business School Press, 2006.]
***Goldman Sachs inaugurated its assessment of issues typically associated with SRI with its February 2004 launch of the Goldman Sachs Energy Environment and Social (GSEES) Index, assessing 30 social and environmental criteria in the global energy sector. It subsequently expanded coverage with its Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) Index, increasing the number of criteria to 42 while adding a corporate governance category. A 164-page report by Goldman Sacs demonstrates how GS applies its sustainable investing strategies to the global energy sector. The report finds GSEES leaders financially outperforming their peers by 12 percent since the index launch. Significantly, the report finds a strong correlation between strong ESG performance and financial performance.
The Fund's ethical values screening criteria could cause it to underperform similar funds that do not have such screening criteria. This could be due to ethically acceptable companies falling out of favor with investors or failing to perform as well as companies that do not meet the Fund's ethical screening guidelines.
Mutual Funds involve risk including the possible loss of principal. The fund can invest in smaller-sized companies which may experience higher failure rates than larger companies normally have a lower trading volume than larger companies. The Fund’s ethical values screening criteria could cause it to under perform similar funds that do not have such screening criteria. The fund can have risk associated with the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry in which these companies may be heavily dependent on clinical trials with uncertain outcomes and decisions made by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The fund can have risk related to option investing. There are special risks associated with investments in foreign companies including exposure to currency fluctuations, less efficient trading markets, political instability and differing auditing and legal standards. The fund can have risk associated with a higher portfolio turnover which could result in higher transactional costs.
Eventide Asset Management, LLC is the Adviser to Eventide Mutual Funds. An investor should consider a fund's investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses carefully before investing or sending money. This and other important information can be found in the prospectus of the fund. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing. Eventide Mutual Funds are distributed by Northern Lights Distributors, LLC, Member FINRA, which is not affiliated with Eventide Asset Management, LLC.